Summer of R - CANCELLED
Unfortunately, we are cancelling training this year.
We will reschedule in the summer of 2022.
The training next summer will be similar in scope to below.… Plan to attend!
What is R and why use it?
R is an open-source platform for statistical analyses that has become increasingly popular in educational and social science research. There are many benefits to making the switch from using other statistical software programs, which can be limited in the analyses they can perform and can also be expensive. R is a great alternative because:
- R has a wide range of capabilities for statistical analyses.
- Both data management and analyses can be performed without having to switch between programs.
- R code is suited for collaboration and replication of findings.
- New capabilities are constantly being developed by an ever growing R user community!
- Finally, R is totally FREE!
What to expect from Summer of R:
This training is designed for researchers who want to make the switch to using R. The training will provide the nuts and bolts of the program which is crucial in understanding how R functions work.
The training has five courses:
- Course I: Introduction to R and Basic Data Exploration (1 day)
- Introduction to R and R Studio
- Basic data management
- Descriptive statistics
- Course II: Generalized Linear Modeling (1 day)
- Theory of Generalized Linear Modeling (GLM)
- GLM for binary outcomes (logistic regression)
- GLM for polytomous outcomes (multinomial logistic regression)
- GLMs for ordinal outcomes (cumulative, adjacent, and stage models)
- GLM for counts (Poisson and negative binomial regression)
- Course III: Multilevel Modeling (1 day)
- Understanding the need and logic of multilevel models
- Specifying unconditional, random intercept, and random slope models
- Aggregating and merging data
- Testing different model specifications
- Model diagnostics
- Course IV: Psychometrics (1 day)
- Fundamental concepts of psychological and educational measurement
- Classical test theory methods (item analysis/reliability)
- Introductory factor analysis
- Introductory item response theory
- Course V: Introduction to R Shiny Applications (half day)
- Getting to know Shiny and running your first Shiny app
- The architecture of Shiny apps (UI, server, input, output)
- Understanding reactivity
- Making it look pretty (layouts, themes, HTML)
- Helping users navigate your app
- Sharing your app with the world
About the R experts providing the training:
The training will be provided by four of our excellent instructors Drs. Francis Huang, Wolfgang Wiedermann, Wes Bonifay, and Sonya Winter. They are all prolific methodologists and measurement experts, experienced educators, and faculty members in the Missouri Prevention Science Institute at the University of Missouri, and teach a variety of graduate methods and measurement courses that solely use R.
Summer of R training dates and pricing
- Location and dates: TBA
- Tentative Pricing & Schedule
- Early Bird:
- Full week: $900
- Price per course:
- Course I: Data Exploration & Linear Regression (1 day) – $200
- Course II: Generalized Linear Modeling (1 day) – $200
- Course III: Multilevel Modeling (1 day) – $200
- Course IV: Psychometrics (1 day) – $200
- Course V: R Shiny Applications (half day) – $100
- Late Registration:
- Full week: $1,150
- Price per course:
- Course I: Data Exploration & Linear Regression (1 day) – $250
- Course II: Generalized Linear Modeling (1 day) – $250
- Course III: Multilevel Modeling (1 day) – $250
- Course IV: Psychometrics (1 day) – $250
- Course V: R Shiny Applications (half day) – $150
Training Location and Travel Information
- The Broadway Columbia Hotel (.5 miles)
- Website: https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/missouri/the-broadway-columbia-a-doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-COUTBDT/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-DT-COUTBDT
- Address: 1111 E Broadway, Columbia, MO 65201
- Phone: (573) 875‑7000
- Rates: Starting at $166/night
- The Tiger Hotel (.4 miles)
- Hampton Inn and Suites (.9 miles)
- Website: https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/missouri/hampton-inn-and-suites-columbia-at-the-university-of-missouri-COUUMHX/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HP-COUUMHX
- Address: 1225 Fellow’s Place Boulevard, Columbia, MO 65201
- Phone: (573) 214‑2222
- Rates: From $97/night
- Residence Inn (2.8 miles)
- Website: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/couri-residence-inn-columbia/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2
- Address: 1100 Woodland Springs Ct, Columbia, MO 65202
- Phone: (573) 442‑5601
- Rates: From $105/night
- Columbia Regional Airport (11 miles)
- Airlines: American and United Airlines
- St. Louis International Airport (107 Miles)
- Most Major Airlines
- Kansas City International Airport (130 Miles)
- Most Major Airlines
- Airport Shuttle Service from St. Louis and Kansas City Airports: MoX
- Parking is $15 per week or $5 a day.
- Link for visitors permit: https://mu.nupark.com/portal/Account/VisitorLogin?ReturnUrl=%2Fportal%2F
Map of Townsend Hall:
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Tanya Weigard at firstname.lastname@example.org.